I like to bring the beach back to Charlotte with me and luckily, every spring and summer the Poole Shop transforms into an urban surf shop. I’m always attracted to bright, handmade, inexpensive accessories that keep things light – especially when the dog days of summer bear down on the city and 100 percent humidity is in the forecast.
1. Frank & Eileen Shirt These airy, voile shirts are light enough to wear as a summer cardigan and come in every popsicle color of summer. www.frankandeileen.com.
2. Melvin Jewelry I can’t get enough of this jewelry by hometown duo Martha Clifford and Morgan Walker. These are light, colorful, handmade and look best when layered. www.shopmelvin.com.
3. WM. J. Mills & Co. Tote These guys have been making gorgeous, durable bags out of Greenport, NY since1880. Great for toting sunscreen and towels to the beach, but also a super summer laptop tote for work. www.millscanvas.com.
4. Garrett Leigh Sunglasses I’m obsessed with these sunglasses designed by Garett Leight, son of Oliver Peoples founder Larry Leight. www.garrettleight.com.
5. Soludos The perfect shoe for an endless summer – and at under $40 – very little guilt. www.soludos.com.
6. Dezso by Sara Beltran Bracelets My friend Sara Beltran produces these in Mexico and India, and they are the perfect accessories to bring out my inner “junior high”. www.dezso.com.
7. Mochila Bags I love this light alternative to a leather bag for the summer. These bright mochila bags, made by the Wayuu tribe in Columbia, hold everything and are easy to wear cross-body so your hands will be free. www.wayuumochilabags.com.
8. Coqui-Coqui Mosquito Repellent This totally organic mosquito repellent, from the coolest hippies in Tulum, serves dual purpose as repellent and perfume. www.coquicoqui.com.
9. Ancient Greek Sandals Perfect for walking from the beach to the street, this new collection designed by an ex LVMH alum are cheap, chic and ultra comfy. www.ancientgreeksandals.com.
10. Lem Lem Shawl These florescent gauze shawls out of Kenya are like summer candy. It’s hard to pick just one. www.lemlem.com.
1. Azzedine Alaia Dress This designer is pure genius! One of the bigger investments a woman can make for her wardrobe and it will last a lifetime, taking you a million different places and back. There is a reason Alaia has been making dresses for over 30 years – they are life changing. www.alaia.fr.
2. Olympia Le-Tan Clutch These hand embroidered clutches mimic classic book covers and are signed and numbered by French artist, Olympia Le-Tan. They are all just as beautiful inside as they are out and remind me of my favorite reads. www.olympialetan.com.
3. Diptyque These beautiful French candles are made from all natural essences and oils. If you keep the wick trimmed, these candles can last up to 60 hours and are well worth the investment. www.diptyqueparis.com.
4. Golden Goose Sneakers My trusty Golden Goose side-”kicks” are my go-to footwear for a trip to the farmer’s market on a Saturday morning. I don’t know what I’d do without these old pals. www.goldengoosedeluxebrand.com.
5. Natura Bisse The Cure Sheer Cream This cream magically transforms to match your sun kissed skin in the summer or gives you the lightest glow in the winter with a dewy finish. www.naturabisse.com.
Laura Vinroot Poole is a style expert and the owner of boutiques Capitol and Poole Shop, located at 4010 Sharon Road in South Park. Visit them online at www.capitolcharlotte.com/blog and follow on twitter at www.twitter.com/capitolclt.